Posted: March 12, 2020 by Staff Writer
Here’s an overview of recent updates from our carrier partners. For details on any specific update, click on the related link.
- Attain Collateral:A new FAQs and flyer are available to promote the Attain by AetnaSM app, which is available to new groups or groups renewing after April 1, 2020.
Anthem Blue Cross
- Bronze Plan Changes: Effective May 1, 2020, under a directive from the Department of Managed Healthcare (DMHC), Anthem Blue Cross is making adjustments to physician services benefits on more than two dozen PPO and EPO plans. The changes mean members will no longer have three covered primary care or specialist visits before paying their deductible. To offset this reduction in benefits, Anthem is increasing the number of LiveHealth Online visits available at no cost to members. Letters explaining the benefit changes are being sent by Anthem to affected members. Most should have received notification already. Changes also apply to Anthem Blue Cross Bronze plans sold through CaliforniaChoice.
- Special Open Enrollment: In connection with the Bronze PPO plan benefit changes noted above, Anthem Blue Cross is offering groups with affected members the opportunity to take advantage of a Special Open Enrollment Period from March 1 through May 31. (Coverage is effective May 1, 2020.) Please be sure to note “Bronze Special Open Enrollment” on your submitted paperwork.
- Contract News: Take note San Diego! Anthem Blue Cross has successfully renewed a PPO physician agreement with Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego, a physician group affiliated with Rady Children’s Hospital. In other updates, a planned termination with Prime Healthcare Services is rescinded for 12 hospitals in Southern California.
- HealthCare Partner Terminations: Some Anthem Blue Cross members could face the potential loss of access to a preferred medical group or hospital because of changes made by HealthCare Partners. Encourage your groups’ members to contact Customer Service about selecting an alternative Primary Care Physician or other provider.
Blue Shield of California
- Updated Forms: Blue Shield of California has released a new Start-up/Spin-off Companies Small Business Eligibility Statement and an updated Small Business Owner Eligibility Statement. While the prior forms will continue to be accepted (at least for now), we encourage you to download and begin using the modified documents.
- Forms Update:CalCPA has released a new Employee Application and Enrollment/Change Form as well as a new Subscription Agreement.
- Online Resources: It’s easy to manage your entire block of CaliforniaChoice business at CalChoice.com. You can get an overview of your inforce groups plus info on commissions and upcoming renewals. And, of course, you can run a quote on your new group’s initial enrollment or a new hire. Log in now!
- Big News Coming in April: CaliforniaChoice is announcing something big next month. Watch your email to reserve your spot at their April 15 webinar.
- Rx Coaching:Cigna’s new enhanced medication coaching through its SafeGuardRx® program (in conjunction with Express Scripts) is already adding value for members. Watch for formulary and utilization management updates coming in July.
- Simplified Underwriting: Through June 30, 2020, Health Net is offering simplified underwriting on five HMO plans. Click here for more information.
- Legislative Landscape Webinar: Health Net has scheduled a “2020 Health care Legislative Landscape Review” webinar on Tuesday, March 24, starting at 11:00 a.m. Register here.
- Ongoing Sales Bonus: UnitedHealthcare is offering a $25 to $50 incentive per member for new Medical plans with an effective date from March 1, 2020, through February 28, 2021. Click here for more information.
Ancillary and Other Coverage
Anthem Blue Cross
- Basic Life Rate Match: For groups with coverage effective through 4/1/2020, Anthem Blue Cross is extending its Basic Life Rate Match. Click here to download the flyer. Click here to download the Resource Advisor flyer, which describes a member assistance program for those with Life and/or Disability coverage.
- Voluntary & Employer-Sponsored Options:Expand your client’s employee benefits without increasing their costs. ChoiceBuilder offers Dental, Vision, Chiropractic & Acupuncture, and Life through a single program – and a choice of employer-sponsored and voluntary coverage, with one consolidated monthly bill.
- Vision: The value of MetLife Vision is clear. It offers an expanded network of 100,000+ access points nationwide (including Walmart and Sam’s Club), shatter-resistant lenses for children, and a plan design to help members save on total costs. Talk with your rep to get complete plan details.
- Updated Rate Card: MetLife has a new rate card for groups with an effective date of 4/1/2020 to 9/1/2020. Several ancillary updates are included: 10% cut on vision plans with a 24-month frame frequency; 7% cut on vision plans with a 12-month frame frequency; and a reduction of around 15% on Long Term Disability base rates. Click here to download the new rate card.
- Vision Network:UnitedHealthcare is expanding its online shopping options for members, with the addition of GlassesUSA.com to the provider network. Members can go to www.glassesusa.com/UHC, enter their UnitedHealthcare vision member ID and birth date and shop risk-free. Members can also now purchase contact lenses through Warby Parker.
Contact your Word & Brown representative if you have questions.
Posted: April 6, 2020 | Upcoming Events
Posted: March 27, 2020 | Industry News
Posted: March 27, 2020 | Compliance
Posted: March 24, 2020 | Word & Brown News
Posted: March 24, 2020 | Carrier Updates