Large Group Ancillary Carrier Spotlight: Blue Shield of California
In its continuing effort to enhance the member experience – and help brokers attract and write more business – Blue Shield of California has updated its Ancillary product portfolio and participation for 2023.
Blue Shield of California offers Dental PPO, Dental HMO, Vision, Life, and Supplemental Life on both a voluntary and employer-sponsored (contributory) basis.
Here’s a snapshot of Blue Shield of California’s underwriting rules and available bundling discounts:
- Dental Participation: 25% for Voluntary; 65% generally for Contributory/Employer-sponsored (if under, company will consider an exception)
- Vision Participation: 25% for Voluntary; 65% generally for Contributory/Employer-sponsored (if under, company will consider an exception)
- Life Participation: 20% for Voluntary; 100% for Contributory/Employer-sponsored (if employer is paying 100% of the premium)
- Minimum Enrollment:
- Dental: 25 employees for Voluntary; 40 for Employer-sponsored (like Medical)
- Vision: 25 employees for Voluntary; 40 for Employer-sponsored (like Medical)
- Save by bundling! Groups can save 2% when adding Dental, .05% when adding Vision, and .05% by adding Life. Add all three and save up to 3% on Blue Shield Medical. Download the Blue Shield Benefit Solutions flyer for details.
- Dental: Blue Shield’s calendar year Ortho benefit refreshes annually. This gives members more dollars and pricing in line with the Lifetime benefit.
- Vision: Blue Shield has the largest Vision network – and 98% of members go in-network. There are also national and regional retail participants that include Costco, LensCrafters, Target Optical, America’s Best, Walmart, and others.
- Life: Quick match is coming for Basic Life and Voluntary Life; Blue Shield can match a group’s current coverage and offer a discount when Life is added to Medical.
- Dental plan broker information flyer, 101+ groups
- Vision plan broker information flyer, 101+ groups
- Group Term Life and AD&D plan broker information flyer, 101+ groups
We Make Writing Large Group Easier
Whether you’re a broker with extensive 101+ employee experience, or you’re writing your first case, you can count on Word & Brown’s Large Group team to make things easier for you.
We offer everything you need, start to finish:
- Differentiators: Our value-added extras include access to in-house compliance specialists and a team of marketing, enrollment, and sales experts to assist you.
- Simplified online RFP process: Our easy-to-use tool streamlines the RFP process – helping you compile census data and other information for requested products and carriers.
- Downloadable documents: Download valuable RFP and quoting documents, including Large Group Frequently Asked Questions (with details on what’s needed to start a quote, timelines for Medical and Ancillary quoting, guidance on scheduling a presentation, and more).
- Doctor and Rx searches: Ensure your clients have access to the doctors, medical groups, hospitals, and prescription drugs they want in the plans they’re considering. Complete our Provider & Rx Search Request form available here. It can help make you a hero to your clients and enrolling employees.
Most Recent Articles